My mom was in town last weekend and after dropping Jimmyredhed off at TSW, she and I drove over to the Rebuilding Exchange. I'd heard about this warehouse last year and have kept it in mind since. They take donations of deconstructed home materials and encourage deconstruction over demolition. We went to look for flooring.
To make a long story short, I purchase an estimated 300-500 sq feet of hard oak flooring for $100. It was taken from a building at Armitage and Western. Many of the floorboards are unusable, damaged, or improperly sized for our purposes and all of them still have nails sticking out. But! I was able to by the lot (three car loads full and counting!) for sooo cheap.
My dad came up for a few days to begin our installation. Neither of us have done flooring before (and mind you, Jimmy was away on his service trip), but we dove right in. He sanded the floors and I picked up felt paper from the hardware store. We borrowed a nail gun and an air compressor and bought a couple boxes of nails.
These pictures are from our first night laying the wood. Jimmy was pleasantly surprised by our work and he, Kevin, and I are working diligently to finish it! We've worked on it almost every night since last week. We hope to have it done by the weekend.
We may finish it (DIY or professionally) down the line, but the finish is actually in spectacular shape. For now, we'll just clean it up!
Our remaining to do list :: bottom trim, quarter round, frame out windows, crown molding (we'll hire out), install ceiling fan, plate covers, install closet rods, and shelves ... and way down the line ... sand and restain the door.
Follow our Room Renovation Tour here.